Sunday, 9 December 2012

Making the muslin

Thanks to all the lovely readers who appreciated my chevron skirt. This is a small update on the muslin I made for the T shirt draft along.. at Sewcountrychick. Did it really work out well for you ? Justine's was a success. Okie dokie,  sewers who are drafting along I need some suggestions.. So please read and tell me what you feel. 
I had this material which is not a knit but a little bit of stretch. Its a kind of poly and crushed. So I added a 2inch of ease to all the measurements the author suggests while making a woven blouse.I drafted using the steps for a knit.
I also added a yoke as in Sophie Tee from the book Design it yourself clothes.
Here are my results. The neckline and hemline still remain unfinished. Sorry for the weird poses ;) That is just to give a feel of how much pinching the armhole is :P
Should there be some ease at the armsyce if it is not a knit ? I feel its an yes but the book does not say that.
    

  

The problem is the armsyce is sad !! I chose a depth of 6.5 inches as suggested in the book. Well Its too uncomfortable when I lift the hands, it pinches OUCH!. So do you think a 7 inch of depth will give the required ease, when I lift? Did you face any problems while drafting ? Please leave me a comment..Or links on drafting armsyce.
To see the other projects form the book you can click here.Also I shall keep adding more posts on the projects that I draft from this book.

4 comments:

  1. Hi diya. I had the same problem with my green T. I explained a little what I did in my post. You need to bring your side seam in ay the bustline, lower the armhole and bring the shoulder seam in a little. I would bring the whole from the from the shoulder to the bust in and lower the armhole. Just scoop out your pattern. I hope that helps a little. It's pinching because its too high on you. You can still save the shirt. Leave the sleeve alone, remove it, adjust the bodice, and sew it back on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog hopping & following... Happy Holidays! DreamHeartDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays!
    thank you for stopping at my blog, and I just followed you.
    I like the fabric and design of your top.
    Justine gave you the same advice I would have given.
    I will look forward to seeing it finished.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely shirt, I think with certain materials you have to allow for extra room because some materials have no "give" or stretch to them. I remember sewing a shirt that I was so excited about out of muslin but (as a big girl), I forgot to put a little extra room in it and I could barely get it over my head! ;)

    Thank you so much for participating in our Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! I am following you, of course!! Wishing you and yours a lovely week!!

    Aloha,

    Jean {What Jean Likes}

    ReplyDelete

Adding comments is easy and I love to read them :)Also it helps me find more crafty bloggers. If you have a question I reply to them right here.. So check back :)