Friday, 29 March 2013

How to make gathers while sewing

Ever since the history of man is recorded he has been inventing tools for ease of performing any task. When it comes to sewing too I feel the right tools gives the best results and good looking product. I have made  ruffles or gathers by hand and there are a lot of tutorials out there on many blogs. But recently I purchased a gathering foot to make the process easier :) Proudly I can show off my first project with my new sewing machine foot .

Sewing Gathers
The day I received my gathering foot via mail was when Rikka posted about her Fancy feet challenge. So I thought why not make a Burdastyle JJ blouse again!! I loved that pattern so much the very first time I made it.And later I made many versions of it for the one pattern many looks contest.

Burdastyle JJ Blouse
 I must say that this version is much more neat than the first one I made. I had just then begun sewing , so I do see an improvement in my finishing. Glad about it!
Burdastyle JJ Blouse
Check out Rikkas blog and find out what other new sewing machine feet have the others used.
I also have to share some useful information I found. A free sewing class for using sewing machine feet. Click here and visit craftsy. This helped me a lot to learn on how to use my new gathering foot to make gathers or ruffles.
Happy Weekend tata!!
P.S : I have linked up my project to all/some of the links here.

Update : This top won me the bronze award in the voting contest! So I get to show off 
this picture below:) Thanks to all who voted for my blouse!
Congrats! Bronze Award!

20 comments:

  1. Love your shirt - the gathers are brilliant! Off to check out the link to Craftsy...thanks for this...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blouse! I'd love to see the foot in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your blouse, Diya!!! It's beautiful... very feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab blouse Diya, the ruffles are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am extremely impressed! You are making me want to sew ruffles. I too a picture of your collage to add to the tops finished project lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diya! What a beautiful job you have done, your blouse is impeccable!!! I loooove the ruffles you've done. Thanks for the link to craftsy, I will visit the link. I agree with you that the feet have been created to facilitate the work, if we have them, it's worth learning how to use them!
    You did a nice job!
    Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Thanks for the link to the craftsy class too, good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on meeting the challenge! This is a very pretty blouse--I just love it!!! I am eager to read more about gatering feet and how they work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blouse is adorable! I love the yellow, and the ruffles just lend it an extra level of sweetness. What a perfect spring blouse. Great job trying out a new tool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Diya, I love this blouse. It is just perfect. And I do agree that having the right tools is essential, but one thing I'm learning is that when I don't have the tools and learn other methods of achieving the same thing, when I do get the tools, I appreciate them much much more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its super cute Diya :) I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about your blouse. The color, style, ruffles. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never used a gathering foot, but I will now!! Your blouse is beautiful :) Great job!

    Cindy
    Raspberry Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blouse looks great, I really like the ruffles, I do wish you had taken pics as you were sewing, so we could see how it all goes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. I have shared a link at the bottom of my post its about a free sewing class. Watch the video she shares on the gathering foot. That's exactly how my gathers were created with the foot :)

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous yellow blouse. Well done! Thanks for sharing...

    Karen
    At Home Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute! I'm a very novice sewer and I'd love to try the gathering foot - but I'm scared! I don't really know what I'm doing.
    I'm visiting you today from Sunday Scoop. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Medicine Cabinet Makeover

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Diya. I love to see your projects . Always so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    I really like ur shirt....I want to do similar type for my daughter's top.....I Live in Bangalore, India, Can u please let me know where to purchase these foot...I have Usha Janome,Allure.

    Thanks,
    Shubha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shubha. Thanks ;) Well I see that your are a no reply blogger. Please mail me your email address and I will get back with the details.

      Delete

I love your comments:)