Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Ruching all the way !!!

Yayy!! I made a dress out of my most coveted fabric. I purchased this floral cotton fabric like a few months back with bright floral print and a soft texture. I was so fond of it that I had to skim through many of the patterns to finally make this one. I have saved all the scraps of this fabric(grin) Somehow I love floral prints. Okay ! Cutting down all the 'Like-Dislike' talk.. Let me talk about the pattern I used , how much I love it and about ruching. (Click on the link below to read complete post)
Floral fabric printed cotton dress with asymatrical ruching or gathers with zip at the back and cap sleeves


I made the IW1005 dress, which is an Imagewear pattern. This dress has got cap sleeves and asymmetrical ruching :) Thats the fun part. I have seen a lot of inspirational ruching with solid fabrics, which look like really good. But I wanted to try it on this fabric which I loved so much. I just made a hand drawn fashion illustration of it, it looked good. So went ahead with it.I really did not want to give away the surprise before , by posting about my illustration. So a slight re-order.. My illustration will come in the next post ;)
I came across Imagewear patterns some days back and wanted to try it. Got myself some magazines and a couple of patterns. It can be purchased form the webshop with a credit card here(madebyoranges). They are really doing a great job. It is worth every penny spent:) I loved the patterns - they are really true to their theme trendy and for the modern youth.psst - the patterns are shipped free worldwide. How cool is that?

Floral fabric printed cotton dress with asymatrical ruching or gathers with zip at the back and cap sleeves
This dress up on the shop was made form white. It looks like it is made form stretch fabric. But there is no information about this. I guessed that it must be possible to make this with woven fabrics as it features a zip at the centre back. But still before cutting my precious fabric, I contacted the customer service and they replied me within four days saying that wovens should be fine. They also suggested me to leave a little more allowance at the seams . Thanks for the tip :). But after I made it , It feels like that extra allowance was not required. But anyway it does not hurt :D It fits neither too tight nor too loose, but perfect.

The pattern is very well designed. Comes in multiple sizes and it is overlapped so we have to add in extra effort to trace out our size .I like it this way, it saves on production paper, so thats good! Though it says it is int he easy range of difficulty. I don't agree.. It requires skill to do ruching of the fabric, princess seams and also invisible zip and facing unit is not a beginners cup of tea I suppose. But for an intermediate seamstress it is easy - may be that's what they meant:) 
Floral fabric printed cotton dress with asymatrical ruching or gathers with zip at the back and cap sleeves
Closer view of the cap sleeves
Now coming to the instructions part. Actually the original instructions are translated to English. It is not really bad. But for this dress I felt the steps were a little confusing. There is an easier way of attaching the facing unit to the dress. So I read the instructions once and not again. I followed my own way. But the instructions could confuse the beginners probably. Also I recommend to interface the facing unit at least till the arm syce notch point. This will help to get a sturdy looking rather shall I term it as stiff neckline.(like the one you can see in the pic below)
Floral fabric printed cotton dress with asymatrical ruching or gathers with zip at the back and cap sleeves
My invisible zip is almost invisible .. He he
Overall I enjoyed making this one very happy with the results. So if you are interested then you may check out their official website. There are some six really trendy patterns for women. They do have magazines. I shall be writing my experience after using them shortly. I made it for the wardrobe challenge at Angela's site and the theme for Feb was ruching.Check out her video on ruching using twill tape. I really like this method over using elastic.
Floral fabric printed cotton dress with asymatrical ruching or gathers with zip at the back and cap sleeves
The front pic - shows the asymmetrical ruching clearly.
Did you like my ruched floral dress:) ? Have a great day ! Till my next post - keep eating , sewing and talking :D also don't forget to leave a comments okie ;) .. I love reading and replying them .

14 comments:

  1. I adore this!! The fabric is so beautiful! It looks so lovely on you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. Love that fabric.. I will have to check out those patterns.. Never heard of them..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a Judy .. Check them out .. There is a lot for little girls and teens as well..

      Delete
  3. Was this the first time you sewed a pattern from them? You should enter this into the PatternReview.com contest called "New To Me Pattern Co. Contest"!! http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/ContestGallery.pl?ContestID=200

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kathy first time . This sounds exciting I need to go check it out.. Thanks for your compliments ;)

      Delete
  4. Lovely dress, although I agree it definitely doesn't look like a beginner pattern. Well done on such a professional finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura.. That was motivating comment :)

      Delete
  5. You've made a lovely job. I really like the offset ruching down the one side, and your fabric choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've created something truly gorgeous. That fabric looks wonderful on you. Great combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very flattering dress, Diya!!! Looks great...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam ! It is very comfortable to wear as well :D

      Delete
  8. I never thought dresses with these type of architectural details will look good in floral prints.. but this is stunning.. so chic and sassy. great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments:)