Sunday, 27 April 2014

Buffi's Dress Design-Book Review

Have you heard of Buffi's Dress design , the latest release form Storey Publishing? You must have, if not no probs I have a lot of things to talk about it here. I just made a Jump Arund dress from it today and also I write my opinion and experience here to share with you all :) Read on...(Click below to read full text)

Jumper dress pinafore dress style with straps waistband and pockets made from cotton printed fabric Buffi dress design book review storey publishing
Buffi's Dress design book/Jump around dress made from it
Let me brief of this dress project from the book first. I made the Jump around dress in size M using medium weight cotton fabric with butterflies flying all around ;) .You may call it as you like overall dress, Jumper dress. pinafore style dress. For this a shift sloper is used. I followed the steps to draft the new pattern pieces with ease. I had a little confusion here and there with the sewing instructions. The text only instructions are perfect but if only there was more diagrams it would have been faster. A more experienced sewer would have performed it with ease I suppose. The dress is super cool. The butterfly printed fabric makes the mood more colorful and gay. Perfect for a picnic.
Now shifting to the topic of how the book is.Let me keep it brief and not bore you with too much details. Buffi starts off the first chapter with describing the basics. Tools, fabrics, grains and so on. this is aimed at the very beginner. I did read it word by word and enjoyed of course. Repetition of knowledge is always helpful LOL.
Jumper dress pinafore dress style with straps waistband and pockets made from cotton printed fabric Buffi dress design book review storey publishing
The book comes with Slopers sized from XS to XL (29.5" to 42" Bust size). These are slopers not Patterns. The size difference between them is more than 3-4 inches So unlike patterns a little more in depth grading is necessary.We have to take body measurements  and adjust it to body fit. All these instructions go into the second chapter of the book. Very useful for the fitting exercise.I really like it the way Buffi has presented it.
Next three chapters are devoted to make the dresses. It has 30 styles. Styles not silhouettes remember!. There is the Shift dress style, Sheath dress style and the princess seam dress style. With 2 sleeve options set-in and raglan. So  approx 7-8 silhouettes and 30 styles. the Styles are usually color blocking , stenciling , adding piping and embellishing the dress for more pizzas.
Jumper dress pinafore dress style with straps waistband and pockets made from cotton printed fabric
There is also another Vintage transformation chapter on refashioning old clothes to make new styles. 3 dress styles are presented here.
The last chapter explains some sewing technology in more of text. Useful as a glossary for quick reference while sewing.But a beginner cannot learn thoroughly from it.
Summing it up.
The pros: 
1 ) I love the instructions which tell how to take body measurements and adjust the slopers. 
2) The designs involved are good, chic and a lot of party wear. Though they are for the more younger who would like to wear short dresses. I feel it can always be adjusted to anyone with any taste.
3) The book has glossy paper and good print and great pictures. Very handy and easy to refer while making.
4) Very good for an intermediate seamstress who is having the patience to use the slopers to produce great designs.
The cons:
1) Not a major drawback but a good to have feature. - No line diagrams for any of the styles. Some styles, for example the Jumper dress which I made I had to tease my brain to understand where the seam lines would be. Because the model wears a busy print Jumper dress where it is difficult to identify the seam lines. 
2) There are no back view photos of the dresses. Front view pics of course there are loads:)
Jumper dress pinafore dress style with straps waistband and pockets made from cotton printed fabric
I love the side pockets
Over all I love the book. And thanks to Storey publishing and Buffi for bringing out such a lovely book into the market. So Guys. What do you think ? You liked my Jump Around dress. Now I need to go jumping around LOL.
I will be back with another dress which I made soon. Till then c ya. Happy sewing :)
Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the publisher. I have not been compensated in monetary or any other form. This is completely my personal opinion and experience that I have shared.
This post is a part of Sew Book inspired series. Click below to read more.
I have linked this project to some or all sites here

10 comments:

  1. I love your jump around dress. Really cute..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks well made - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I am flattered;)

      Delete
  3. That's a beautiful jumper - it looks sweet on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra for such a sweet comment.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the comprehensive book and pattern review, Diya. The jumper looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments:)