Friday, 15 August 2014

Delia cropped jacket from the Magic Pattern book

I want to talk so much about this new book by Amy Barickman - The Magic Pattern Book:). The title itself sounds so exciting right !? MAGIC. What is so magical about it . Read more and find out. Also let me know if you are ready for more magic(wink)

Jacket sewing pattern for beginners without lining made form the magic pattern book by amy barickman founder of indygo junction. Yellow jacket with blue chevron or zig zag print. simple collar and three fourth sleeves
                 Image source                                                               Delia cropped jacket form the book



Jacket sewing pattern for beginners without lining made form the magic pattern book by amy barickman founder of indygo junction. Yellow jacket with blue chevron or zig zag print. simple collar and three fourth sleeves

The target audience for this book are the enthusiastic home sewers with their skill level being basic. Also to someone who wants build aka sew a mini wardrobe(excluding a pant)! How cool is that. You can look through the book here and purchase it from here.
The Book Contents: The first chapter talks about what are pre-requisites before attempting any project in the book. There is information on tools required, different types of fabrics, little bit tips on making muslin, basic sewing techniques(darts, finishing edges so on). I read through and found it useful.
The next six chapters are devoted to making of the garments. There are six patterns that accompany this book in a CD(more details below). As you can see on the cover there is a tank top, a skirt, a dress, cardigan / jacket, coat pattern. Each on comes with six simple variations to create 36 different looks. You can also make a beret, sun hat, cap, tote bag from the accessory section.he styles are easy so no need to fret. Not much of zippered closures and lined bodices in there.
These chapters are very well organized. You simply need not flip back and forth through pages while making a project. There are clever suggestions for each pattern , on how to get a different look using different fabrics and prints. I love these pages. This is why I said that we can build a mini wardrobe.
The book has glossy pages and one picture of a cheerful model wearing the finished garment for each style. It is compact though it has 310 pages!Good production by workman publishing.
Jacket sewing pattern for beginners without lining made form the magic pattern book by amy barickman founder of indygo junction. Yellow jacket with blue chevron or zig zag print. simple collar and three fourth sleeves
The sleeves are kind of big on me right !
About the patterns:The six patterns come in a CD which we must print using A4 paper. Multi-sized from S-XXL. (I had no problems while printing-the intro chapter deals with tips on this too)For each pattern,there is one PDF file which consists of pattern pieces for all styles. Also there are PDF files for each single style.So for the cardigan you have six single PDFsand 1 combined PDF.  The combined PDF is like 90 pages for the cardigan. So you must have patience to cut and paste 90 pages. This is the only hitch.To get a different look ,some pattern pieces are simple variations form the main piece, the instructions could have simply stated how to alter the main pattern instead of offering a new pattern piece to print out. This would have saved a lot of paper as well. Edit: I printed out the combined pdf because I liked two jacket patterns. Now printing out two similar patterns and pasting them up twice is a whole lot of work and not much reduction in pages to be printed.
About the project I made: Since I am some sort of a advanced-basic (hope this oxymoron makes sense LOL) sewer. I decided to try out a jacket pattern. Because in the field of outerwear I am having zero experience. The cardigan pattern can be transformed into 2 jacket patterns, 'The Delia' - an unlined cropped version. And 'The Dorothy'- unlined jacket with collar and pockets. The 3rd and the 4th jackets on the Cover picture.
          Jacket sewing pattern for beginners without lining made form the magic pattern book by amy barickman founder of indygo junction. Yellow jacket with blue chevron or zig zag print. simple collar and three fourth sleeves Jacket sewing pattern for beginners without lining made form the magic pattern book by amy barickman founder of indygo junction. Yellow jacket with blue chevron or zig zag print. simple collar and three fourth sleeves
I made the Delia and added the collar of Dorothy. I used woven cotton with chevron  print. I don't care if chevrons are not in vogue now. I liked it I bought it!
The fit and instructions: I chose the size S. The finished measurements are mentioned in the book.So I figured that the jacked would have about 7 inches ease on me. And the finished jacked measures exactly same(cool). The pattern itself is very well made. No problems while sewing the pieces together. I had to reduce the collar size as it was too big on me. The instructions were very detailed and helpful. I had no difficulties. This has booted my confidence to make more outerwear:) I feel mu hands are too tiny and the sleeves look big on me. So I prefer pushing up the sleeves(as in most pics)
Jacket sewing pattern for beginners without lining made form the magic pattern book by amy barickman founder of indygo junction. Yellow jacket with blue chevron or zig zag print. simple collar and three fourth sleeves
Back view with darts. I managed to match the chevron properly at the colar.
For me this book is definitely a 9 on 10. Why not 10 on 10 is because of the minor problem in assembling big number of pages for getting the pattern ready(read more in the fourth paragraph).

I feel that more than 25 designs in the book fit well into my wardrobe and dressing style.This is a good addition to my Sew Book inspired series.I am going to make more from the other patterns in this book. Did you like my jacket? Do let me know in the comments, I appreciate it very much.

7 comments:

  1. Wow... 90 pages for one pattern. Your top looks great, Diya and fits so well. I really like the sleeves pushed up as you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. Taping those pages did take time.The main cardigan pattern with other pieces for 5 different looks are included in these pages. Finally happy the way it turned out !

      Delete
  2. I think your jacket looks wonderful. Perhaps the author of the book could consider adding in a PDF file that could be printed at a Store such as Office Works which would save all that taping and only cost a few extra dollars :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yep that would be a great idea too. But still this book is worth its weight in gold I feel LOL

      Delete
  3. Love your jacket Diya. The book looks great. thanks for sharing.
    You ask me about the book that I made my skirt from--"Singer Perfect Plus" by Kathleen Cheetham. This
    is a really informative book.. She does a lot of pattern adjustment how to's. There is alot of info on how to mix and match the looks. The last chapter shows you how to take the 4 basic patterns and make 51 different outfits. The 4 patterns are just basic pattern pieces ... but versatile pieces. The jacket is really a nice pattern, I am going to make it soon. However, if you didn't use the patterns in the book, the book is full of info, and I feel would be great for building a wardrobe information.. hope this helps. Judy
    ps. I found my book on ebay..It was used [but looked brand new, patterns never touched], and it was only a few dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. I am glad you liked my jacket and found this post useful too.

      Delete

I love your comments:)