Sunday, 14 December 2014

Ombre strawberry shirt in sheer fabric

sheer fabric blouse or shirt for women made with strawberry fruit print with notched collar. convertible collar. button down shirt
Long sleeved blouse pattern

P.S:This post is going to have a lengthy rant about the fabric I chose then the nice part about the pattern.  skip the rant and jump below to read about the pattern, if you wish.
Making this blouse was a SHEER DIFFICULTY. I mean it.. All along there were skipped stitches, zig-zag stitches magically turned themselves into straight stitches. I have made many from sheer fabrics. Not once did I stumble while sewing them. It was almost a breeze to make the cowl neck top and the collared blouse in sheer. For the Polly top it was a test of patience but not once was there any troubles with skipped stitches. I wonder what was it that was different this time with this sheer(or sheesh??) Georgette.

I checked the needle - same I used for previous fabrics. The thread and tension - just fine.But still they were problems all along. I tried for help in cyberspace but I did not get much help. You can imagine how frustrating it must have been when you want to use a zig zag stitch and you see that your machine is skipping the loop and creating some sort of loose straight stitches. Finally I tugged the fabric very tight out of anger and the stitches kind of became proper! so it has something to do with tension which I did not know to rectify. For the button holes I was afraid as the zig-zag stitch was simply not working on the front side of the fabric. so I flipped it back and sewed the button holes on the facing side which was interfaced. with some difficulty I was able get some shabby button holes which would not shred.
My next task is to do more research on these sheer fabrics and why they are such bad boys at times. Any tips ??????
*************************Rant over.*************************
sheer fabric blouse or shirt for women made with strawberry fruit print with notched collar. convertible collar. button down shirt
Now the juicy details on the pattern and print(pun intended, its strawberry print of course).It is cream on top and pale red at the bottom. But my friends said they got confused with the colors on the blouse;)

I made this up from the LauraMarsh sewing pattern for the long sleeved blouse. There is a unique collection of costume patterns at the etsy shop too. I have not seen much of these on the web. The pattern description said it is loose fitted. I chose to make size 10 and it was just right after eliminating the waist darts.So I guess this looseness applies only to the upper bodice as the waist darts can cinch the fabric and make it quite tight at the waist. It was easy to print out the pattern ,assemble it and get it finished.
sheer fabric blouse or shirt for women made with strawberry fruit print with notched collar. convertible collar. button down shirt
Another alteration I made was to shorten the sleeves and add simple cuffs.Another nice to have alteration would have been to reduce the arm hole depth, they are too deep. I still need to learn how to tame the pattern to get the armholes fitted close to the ar-syce. since it was a drapey fabric its ok. But had it been cotton it would have been very uncomfortable when I lifted my hands. I cannot tuck in the shirt now though. Because if I lift then its out:D. Hope I explained this well.

The instructions for the pattern are illustrations. The pattern description mentions that the collar part is going to be the most difficult part and so was it. I could not gather complete details from the instructions as to how to hide those raw collar edges. somehow I tucked them in and made them invisible.I thought the way to do it must have been different until I saw a video here and felt relieved what I did was correct. Next time I make a similar notched collar probably I will get a better finish.
sheer fabric blouse or shirt for women made with strawberry fruit print with notched collar. convertible collar. button down shirt
Pretty low armholes. How to make it high ?
I was very happy finally with the overall result. I love the notched collar of this pattern. Yayyy. Gives a vintage feel. But since I have used a modern print with ombre I guess it does not give a v v vintage-y look. Wad-ya say sewing buddies How has your experience with sheers been?? Pour in any tips too..

17 comments:

  1. So sorry that beautiful fabric gave you such fits.. But the final out come is gorgeous.Looks so pretty on you.
    I love the way the color changes..
    I have sewed very little sheer fabric.. but the ones I did... I had the same trouble--made me want to scream at the cat! hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Laughing) I totally understand. Thanks for the compliment.. Sheers are beautiful to wear in warm weathers.

      Delete
  2. Can't help you with the sheer fabric problems as I have never sewn with sheers but just wanted to say that your blouse looks lovely despite all the trouble you had with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and mentioning that :)

      Delete
  3. Very cool fabric - the top looks so lovely now it's made! I would see if you can get a walking foot for your machine - I have one on mine and it is a lifesaver for sheer/slippery/thick fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really ? I must try it with scraps of this fabrics left. Thanks for leaving me this note.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like it was not an easy sew, Diya. The end result is a very pretty blouse, though!!! I've done very little sewing with sheers in recent years, so can't help with the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous top! Visiting you from Threading My Way Features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley for stopping by and leaving me a note.

      Delete
  6. Love the look of the fabric. Too bad it was a bear to sew. End product is beautiful, though. I'd love to make it longer, like a tunic for over leggings. Thanks for all the tip on the pattern. I do appreciate an forthright review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading through the post and appreciating my efforts.

      Delete
  7. Hello, that's a lovely blouse and fabric, mind telling where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a purchase made in a local shop :) Sorry not online

      Delete
  8. Its going to be my first time with sheers.. and I'm reading this. hahaha..and its georgette.. wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made quite a few with georgette without probs. This particular fabric was weird may be it is not georgette at all. Yours will go smooth ;) Let me know what you make too

      Delete

I love your comments:)