Saturday, 15 August 2015

Making of the Lou Lou dress

I made a quick"e" dress or rather tunic.It looks plain and simple but the gratification behind making that one is that I learnt a new technique. Wanna know what is it ?? Read on ;)
completely lined sleeveless dres pattern for women lou lou dress

The pattern I used is the Lou Lou dress by EnglishGirlAtHome. It is a straight forward Dress pattern without much fuss and details on stylelines. A basic shift. It has a couple of interesting variations too. Those of you who follow and read my blog may already know that I do not make simple tanks tops or sleeveloss tops. One reason being they are too simple to make. I love at least one highlight detail to be present in anything I make. Than why did I choose this ? Well it is completely lined :) Yippee. I do not know how to add lining to a dress. Of course I did make a polka dotted dress with lining. There was a lot of hand sewing involved and I did not learn much making that dress. And another top was the floral top from Basic black sewing book, this one is lined but I may call it underlined because I treated the main fashion fabric and the lining fabric as one unit. so nothing much learnt with this one either.
completely lined sleeveless dres pattern for women lou lou dress
Boring pics from the phone. Sorry !
When I got to know of this lou lou(I do not know if Charlotte meant love -love ;)) dress, I wanted to try it and learn how to line a sleeveless dress. This pattern helped. I love the method she teaches with the super clear instructions. I have seen posts where there is a different technique to line a sleeveless dress,  it involved a lot of cumbersome activities to place the dress flat and align side seams and blah and blah. I basically did not like(nor understand) that method. This one was super quick to make. The bonus with this technique, is that we can make reversible tops or dresses. Now how cool is that!!I received this pattern free but all my opinions are not biased. I really like this pattern :) Thanks Charlotte.
completely lined sleeveless dres pattern for women lou lou dress
The fit is flary. My size falls in betweeen the standard sizes and and I chose the smaller size and it fits me right. Also the armhole was reduced in height by 1 inch. I dont like deep armholes whether the dress is sleeveless or with sleeves. I would have loved it if the pattern also had instructions for french seams too. But the instructions simply state that french seams can be used but does not say how.
Next up my sleeve is to line a dress with a zipper without hand sewing. What is your take on lining garments? is this chore a bore ?

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting a new technique under your belt! Your garment looks wonderful - as do all the things you post. I have found some very helpful youtube videos on how to do french seams. They are something that I do only on occasion but I never can commit the technique to memory so I rely on videos. Yeah for videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye. Well I was particularly looking for french seam with this method. It is not like usual french seam when there is no lining. I guess I might try some time. Have a good day.

      Delete
  2. Great tunic, I like the idea of a reversible dress. Lots of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tunic, I like the idea of a reversible dress. Lots of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on mastering another new technique!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments:)